Wednesday, October 29, 2008

And I purposely won't turn the heating on

Wednesday, October 29, 2008
I found a temporary solution to all my problems and it came, obscenely, from work. My exercise addiction is just like its heroin equivalent. Everyday I now have to do it, just to achieve not-self-topping normality. Only a just shy of overdose dose can give me the seratonin kick that once came every time I laced up my runners and shuffled around St Anne's Park.

And so an overdose dose is what I just shot up, shot through. A bank holiday and an awol Jim from the gym led to six Spin, three Body Pumps and one stretchtastic Yoga class, all within two days. Normally with this kind of schedule I go light on the weights in pump and stay off the bike for the majority of the spins. But 'fuck it', I thought at the bottom of this muscular mountain, and 'fuck it', I thought all the way to the top. I threw on the big plates, hammered out every single sprint and stretched till I wretchedly retched. And as I collapsed on the bars last night after one last rage-filled, psychotically-screaming Alpine attack to the mashing of Daft Punk and Bon Jovi, I felt both a groundless peace and a reckless ha'ppiness creep over my person.

Today of course, I'm more fucked off than ever and incapable of separating walking from groaning. Worth it, though, for those few moments and the knowledge that they are sure to visit again.

11 Johns and Janes for the comment whore:

Medbh said...

Bon Jovi?
What the fuck, Gimme.
You've quite the masochistic streak.

gimme a minute said...

Medbh:
I pander to the masses. And the opportunity to irritate both daft Punk and Jovi fans is too much to pass up.

Sniffle&Cry said...

Triathlon = Bath with duck + Look at bike + short walk(to pub).

gimme a minute said...

Sniffle:
Sweet.

I wouldn't do it if I wasn't a helpless junkie.

problemchildbride said...

I prefer not to run about chasing my endorphins down. I prefer a medium length walk to the shops to buy them bottled or wrapped in cling film. And then I walk them home.

fatmammycat said...

Oh it's so bloody true, I couldn't NOT go to the gym today, 'just a little hit', I told myself, 'to take the edge off'. Never mind I spent most of yesterday walking like a penguin suffering from stroke.

Anonymous said...

If they ever release a pictionary, under "Self-Absorbed" will be a huge picture of you, trying to look tortured and sanguine, but in all likelihood, you will look like some foppish asshole with too much time on his hands.

gimme a minute said...

problemchildbride:
Very sensible. I lack sense.

fatmammycat:
Admitting you have a problem is the first step towards heart disease and obesity.

Although for me, having just stepped in the door from a 7am spin, it would appear to be a very weensy little step.

anonymous:
My, what an impressive vocabulary for an anonymous commenter.

Sanguine! Foppish! Hands!

Seriously though dude, if you're reading a blog that you don't like, then I think that you may be the one with too much free time.

Conan Drumm said...

You're an excellent example of the human engine, Gimme: input carbs+02 -burn- output heat+CO2. Make sure your input levels are adequate (if not quite at Michael Phelps's levels).

V said...

anon fancies you..he keeps leaving compliments disguised as insults..

fatmammycat said...

7am? Outrageous. What posses people. I think I"ll wander into town.

 
◄Design by Pocket