Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Say anything you wanna, I have heard it all

Wednesday, October 15, 2008
I can no longer fall asleep without a voice in my ear. Unless I'm really, really fucking drunk and even then there is a palpable moment of uneasiness before I drift into that sweet cocktail coma.

It started with Garrison, warbling soporific tales of small town America. It moved to John Cleese as Screwtape. More recently, the tragically deteriorating Terry Pratchett has dominated. But these last weeks, thanks to the magnificence of BBC's iPlayer, it's been all about the Sherlie Homeboy, that other Conan creation.

As a rule, dramatisations suck the big one, but these playified all too short stories do it for me. They suck my big one, in fact. The leads, whose names still elude me, are at least as effective as the Jeremy Brett/that other guy combo and the adaptations are, for the most part, lacking in creakiness, except in the regular instances where creakiness is appropriate. But there's a problem.

You knew there was a problem, right? There's always a fucking problem. And generally, as in this case, it's a super fucking predictable problem. I keep falling asleep. Falling asleep and missing the end. Missing the end and waking up to pee too blearily to work out where I was. And crashing the next night and going 'fuck it' and moving on to the next one and blah, blah fucking blah...

Jesus, but I bore the crap out of myself sometimes.

John Simm was in last night's episode. I drifted off before he came into it. I mention this only because if look at him, Mr Simm, from the side and make him to close his eyes, he looks exactly like me. Though less hairy. It's true. I swear to God. Cunt got all my parts, I reckon.

Thought that might add a little to this offering but no, still fucking bored.

Here's
the good shit. I also recommend 'Brideshead Revisited' and 'The Legend of Sleepy Hollow' though I have no idea how either of them end.

3 Johns and Janes for the comment whore:

Twenty Major said...

It started with Garrison, warbling soporific tales of small town America.

"Whatever we ain't got, that's what you want. God a'mighty, if I was alone I could live so easy. I could go get a job an' work, an no trouble. No mess at all, and when the end of the month come I could take my fifty bucks and go into town and get whatever I want, Mr Hat".

mytopfive said...

When I was in college I always wondered if I taped my notes and played them in my sleep could I learn more. Never bothered to try it though.

Thanks for the comment, I'll definitely play something for you in this week's podcast. It's a weekly thing so hope to see more songs for you in the future.

gimme a minute said...

Twenty Major:
Must you sully everything?

You must?

Okay, so.

mytopfive:
I think you were probably right not to be bothered, seeing as I certainly don't know whodunnit.

And thanks. Count those sheep.

 
◄Design by Pocket