Monday, November 10, 2008

In the time of chimpanzees I was a monkey

Monday, November 10, 2008
So I won Blog Post of the Month. Shared it with some pretty cool pictures of old people. So go fucking me. I find myself in illustrious company. And while I would like to respond with:

'You can't put art in a competition, man.'

and

'It's not about awards, I do it all for love and hate and self-aggrandisement.'

and

'Thanks to all who nominated me, or maybe just that one person who did so on my express request.'

I cannot. For my genuine reaction is 'Thank fuck for that.' Having ponderously proved that 18 is the magic number when it comes to the amount of times one can drop a Blackberry on a wooden floor before it ceases to function, I've been carrying this piece of Hans Brinker donated shit around for the last three months. It was getting to the point where I was being forced to choose between self-respect and contactability.



And while the cynical exploitation of a personal tragedy may rankle with some, some must also admit that half a smart phone is a whole lot better than one really fucking stupid one.

15 Johns and Janes for the comment whore:

Conan Drumm said...

Happy AND conflicted, such is your well-deserved lot.


And as anyone who read it will know, that post was never about winning, or hoping to win anything.

Sniffle&Cry said...

Like Conan said.

Congratulations Gimme.

V said...

You and Clapton eh? Illustrious company indeed you are in. How could it not have been you?

gimme a minute said...

Conan:
You take that back.

Sniffle&Cry:
Thank you, oh faithful one.

V:
You and Clapton eh?

What?

Illustrious company indeed you are in.

You think?

How could it not have been you?

What?

I mean, maybe you're being nice there, but I'm fucked if I understand why now, all of a bread pudding.

Red Mum said...

Well done fellow blog of the month winner.

My daughter has already asked 'does this mean I get your old phone' :)

I just commented on your post, absolutely powerful.

V said...

As in, Eric and 'Tears in Heaven' etc.

No I do not think.

As in, 'yes yours was the best'.

Darragh said...

Cheers for the link, Gimme and congratulations. Very powerful post.

Manuel said...

it was quality work and no mistake......must have a hard one to write all things considered.....

the dublinista said...

Its not about winning awards or popularity...but if ever there was a post that credited the blog post of the month award, this is it.

problemchildbride said...

Thoroughly well-deserved, Gimme. Really, it was a moving post, a difficult subject beautifully and sensitively handled.

Well done, you.

Ellie said...

Try not to lose/break this one!

Rosie said...

you're welcome. i get half, right?

gimme a minute said...

Red Mum:
Thanks very much, and congratulations.

V:
Very good. I really should have gotten that.

Darragh:
Thanks for your comment!

Sigh.

Manuel:
It was a piece of piss to be honest. Reading it back was tough though.

Dublinista:
Thank fuck it's not about popularity, I'd be rightly screwed.

Thank you though, for your kind words.

problemchildbride:
Thanks again, Sam.

Ellie:
I always try. But history, I feel, is destined to repeat itself.

Rosie:
A quarter, remember?

This phantom phone is getting smaller and more dysfunctional by the minute.

Medbh said...

Fabulous!
Good for you, Gimme.
Now get it ready for publication.

gimme a minute said...

Medbh:
Yes, Boss.

And thanks.

 
◄Design by Pocket