Friday, November 28, 2008

It's too cold to be out walking in the streets

Friday, November 28, 2008
Twelve years it was on Wednesday. We both forgot. Again.

'I knew November 26th was something,' said Common Law.

Good for her. I had no such niggling brain itches. It wasn't until this morning when I found myself gazing at an unopened box of cotton buds that the relevancy of this two days past date occurred to me. Why cotton buds? Once, in fucking Cork of all places, and before we hooked up, we both needed cotton buds. She doesn't remember this. She utilises her memory box for tastier tidbits.

Twelve years? Twelve years. Jesus. That seems way longer than ten years, or even eleven years. And much. much longer than six weeks or so. Twelve years is a long time. For sure, it's not as long as thirteen years, and not nearly as long as 4.55 billion years. But it's still a pretty long time.

The gemstone for a twelve year anniversary is jade. Yes, I did know that off the top of my head. Of course, we're not married so I don't suppose that this has any bearing on our lives. Which is a good thing as the word 'jade' no longer brings to Gimme's mind a pretty lump of rock, but rather an ugly lump of pig-faced moronic racism.

But despite there being no piece of paper floating about in the equation, I still firmly believe that we deserve presents. Her for putting up with me. Me for putting up with her putting up with me.

Presents please.

9 Johns and Janes for the comment whore:

Sniffle&Cry said...

Congrats on a dirty dozen - No dearth dere(Dats for dem forgotton Cork cotton-buds bud, how callous could she be?)

Radge said...

My gift to you is this - every time I see Emaweni webaba in your menu I think of the intro to 'The Lion Sleeps Tonight.'

Come to think of, that's a shit present, and I apologise and congratulate you and Common Law.

Medbh said...

Happy anniversary Gimme and Common Law!
Woo-hoo!
A bottle of the 'ol bubbly is in order.

Conan Drumm said...

May you henceforth be known as Johnson & Johnson and be remembered everytime one of your readers sees a Die Hard fillum on the box!

savannah said...

congratulations, sugar and best wishes to Common Law! may you have many more anniversaries together! xoxoxo

(the MITM & i will toast y'all later with a glass or 2 of bubbly!)

gimme a minute said...

Sniffle:
I know, I know. How could anyone fail to remember such a searingly romantic moment, no matter how distant?

But there it is.

Radge:
It's better than the fuck all everyone else is offering.

That is the opening line of Paul Simon's 'Homeless', actually. Hopefully my pedantry will remove the original song from your head.

Medbh:
Thank you.

The champagne is nice idea and we could certainly do with the space in the fridge. Though Common Law will probably be pissed off when she gets in from work to find that I've drunk it all by myself.

Conan:
Die Hard? I don't get it.

I fucking hate not getting stuff.

Savannah:
Yay! Splishy splashy!

Conan Drumm said...

FBI Agent(s) called Johnson (& Johnson) turn up in nearly every Die Hard film... mind you I haven't checked that on imdb

The Hangar Queen said...

12 years is no mean feat.Good job.

Schmoke and a panCAKE?

gimme a minute said...

Conan:
Ah. Thank you for slightly reducing my pop culture ignorance.

Hangar Queen:
Thank you and yes please.

 
◄Design by Pocket