Thursday, January 15, 2009

I'll take my bongos and go

Thursday, January 15, 2009
Here's what I hate about the stupid internet: you can always get what you want. Sexy bicycle videos? You fucking betcha. You would not believe how difficult it used to be to get sexy bicycle videos. One time you might even have rented a sexy bicycle video and discovered it was a very wrong type of sexy bicycle video and been forced to send a brazen V back to the video shop to demand a refund.

I also have access to every single fucking song that I've ever heard and as I prefer listening to songs that I've already heard I haven't liked a new song in about four years. I listen to songs from my twenties, songs from my teens and increasingly, songs from my childhood.

I found 'All Aboard', you see. I've been looking for this for some time on the pretext that even if the Bridge Crew refuse to open their minds and ear holes to the delights of Dylan, the wonders of Waits and the sublimity of Shakira then they will surely appreciate the tunes of my toddlerdom. And so it has proved.

'Right Said Fred' is a favourite. 'Ernie' is popular too. The casual racism in 'My Boomerang Won't Come Back' is being generously overlooked. But how about this particular version of 'The Banana Boat Song'? (Please ignore video).I post that fucker everywhere. My sole contribution to the Twenty Forum, it was greeted with a tumbling silence. I put it up here to little more response. I'm always fucking quoting it. I think it's the greatest, funniest, most profound piece of perfection in the world. I deeply relate to that uptight, stoned, bongo-drumming hippy. I didn't want to make this gig in the first place either! I don't dig spiders neither! My ears! Like, my ears! It's the Life of Gimme in a song.

The Bridge Crew can take it or leave it.

Sigh.

Sigh.

I got one more.

Sigh.

12 Johns and Janes for the comment whore:

Medbh said...

Did you see this?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2008/nov/07/jazz

Ellie said...

you found it?!! Send it my way.

Right said Fred is my favourite, i still sing it on a regular basis.

Conan Drumm said...

Yeah Mon, call it calypso but that song was the Adam & Eve of reggae and made an entire generation receptive to Bob Marley, and ganja.

Radge said...

Lessons In Love by Level 42 for me, I was six and randy as fuck.

And The Frog Song.

Annie said...

I never heard that Right Said Fred song before. I thought it was just the name of a pop band.

gimme a minute said...

Medbh:
People. Always dying.

Ellie:
Data's version goes: 'Right said Fred, have a cup of tea now...'

Conan:
That goes a long way to explaining my fascination with it.

Particularly the ganja part.

Radge:
Randy for Mark King?

Annie:
It contains a valuable anti-haste message.

'You never get nowhere if you're too 'asty.'

Or I guess you could call it a pro-procrastination message. Either way, it's yet another song by which to live our lives.

Terence McDanger said...

I once did an impromptu pidgin-German version of I'm too sexy, from half-remembered school classes, and she loved it.

The German bird, that is.

"Ich bin zu sexy fur mein Katze, fur mein Katze...wahrend ich disco tanzen maa-chen!"

I was 19 and reached third base, and went home reasonably content.

gimme a minute said...

Terence McDanger:
Sounds like even getting to bat was something of an achievement.

Andrew said...

I fuckin' loved that tape, I grew up with it.
The Banana Boat song was tantamount to genius but then it was forever fucked up for me when, as teenager, I turned on Top 30 Hits and saw that retarded version some fucks from Mayo had recorded cos they'd made it to the All-Ireland final or some shite. They substituted the 'day-o' with 'Mayo', y'see. It was very clever.

I can't find the video for it on Youtube and for that you should all be eternally grateful.

gimme a minute said...

Andrew:
I've sitting here all day long, hitting refrsh, waiting for someone to say 'Yes, Gimme, you're right, incredbile album, sublime song.'

I'm guessing that's as close as I'm going to get.

Even the concept of 'The Bogger Boat Song' is making me slightly queasy.

Sarah Gostrangely said...

Love it Gimme, I applaud your retrograde sensibilities.

Reminds me of singing Pass the Dutchie on the Left Hand Side (from a St.Michaels Party Tape) on my 6th birthday. We thought the Dutchies were waffles or something.

Rock on to this, mofo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Sni_IhTGNs

gimme a minute said...

Sarah Gostrangely:
I fucking loved that programme. I didn't reaise there was a rock version.

Watch out, spinners, Muskehounds are always ready.

 
◄Design by Pocket