Monday, March 2, 2009

I've got to bleed myself of you

Monday, March 2, 2009
Every time the entire family piles into Purple I feel the need to intone Morrisonly: 'Is everybody in? Is? Everybody? In? The ceremony is about to begin...'. But then I mentally acknowledge that what is about to begin is not a ceremony but a drive to Mother in Common Law's or the shops or that one time, Clare. I also remember that my brief obsession with The Doors was perhaps not the happiest incident in my music appreciation history, nor something I want to encourage in the musical tastes of the Bridge Crew. Sure, go with the drug-fueld compositions ladies, just make them a little less sophomoric than those of The Lizard King.

Where were we? We were getting into the car and yes, the destination is Mother in Common Law's. It is my good non-wife's birthday and we're popping up for dinner. Common Law holds a birthday coffee in her right hand. Everything that I hand to her today includes the qualifier 'birthday'. Her birthday presents, her birthday breakfast, her birthday remote control. With my left hand I reach behind me for the seat belt and pull it around in front of me with an enthusiasm that belies my excitement about the evening ahead. I elbow Common Law's arm. There is quite some spillage.

'I'm sorry! Sorry! Sorry!' I only use exclamation marks for taking the piss and apologising. Common Law responded, as is her wont, in a deader than deadpan manner:

'Oh, my fault. I should have been watching what you were doing.'

And so she should. You should all remain constantly vigilant while in the physical presence of Gimme.

15 Johns and Janes for the comment whore:

Medbh said...

Happy Birthday, Common Law!

Conan Drumm said...

There you are demonstrating important moves and she wasn't paying attention. What bit of 'instructor' does she not understand?

!

fatmammycat said...

Happy Birthday Birthday CL, hope you have a good one and that there is cake, and that you actually like cake.

Red Leeroy said...

Gimme, it is a wonder you didn't get angry. Do you get angry?

Twenty Major said...

You wouldn't like him when he's angry.

gimme a minute said...

I'm also something of cunt when I'm calm.

I failed to release the beast, Red, but I did robot rock out a little.

Any responses today come courtesy of Harold's Attic Radio.

common law said...

drinking coffee in the car is stupid anyway.

gimme a minute said...

You ought to be able to drink birthday coffee anywhere you want.

savannah said...

happy birthday, Common Law! xoxo

Manuel said...

happy birthday Common Law! I love a birthday spill myself.......!

problemchildbride said...

Let there be cake, and let it be good. Happy birthday, Common Law!

Sassy Sundry said...

She didn't like her birthday coffee jostle?

Happy Birthday to Common Law!

Red Leeroy said...

I'm pleased.

Conan Drumm said...

Happy birthday, Missus Gimme!

I am inclined to agree with himself that you had birthday license.

conortje said...

love it! I'm jealous that she thought it up so quick.

 
◄Design by Pocket