Tuesday, March 3, 2009

You've been so busy lately

Tuesday, March 3, 2009
So in a shocking turn of events reiki and its wonders totally failed to save the life of my ultra-cancered aunt, or even to prolong it to the point where she could visit the home country one last time or attend her daughter's summer wedding. She died, with at least a degree of morphine-dripped peace, in the early hours of last Thursday morning. I did not travel to Cosa Nostra Land for the funeral.

The oldest child in a family of six children, she could be somewhat domineering. So she was. She might also have been a contender for the World's Best Not Listening to Anybody Else About Any Fucking Thing Award. But she was also kind, super smart and generous to a fault. I saw her rarely in the last decade or so but she was a major fixture in my childhood, with trips to Catania forming a part of almost every summer holiday. I liked her fine, this bossy bint. I feel for her children, both just a little older than me. And I feel even more for my devastated mother who is buckling under her loss, her grief and I can't help but believe, a heavy shadow that she can only feel creeping towards her.

I've watched a long procession of not so great aunts and uncles take a bite of the dirt sandwich over the last couple of years and have remained spectacularly untouched by each of these inevitable deaths. But this, being different, feels very different. Life is screaming at me of its brevity and I am doing my very best, like my Auntie Paula, to just not listen.

15 Johns and Janes for the comment whore:

Twenty Major said...

Life is screaming at me of its brevity and I am doing my very best, like my Auntie Paula, to just not listen.

Gotta listen. More eating, drinking and being merry necessary, for tomorrow ... well, you know.

Medbh said...

Gosh, that was so fast.
Give your mom a big hug.

fatmammycat said...

Condolances to you and your family.

Sniffle said...

Sorry for your trouble, Gimme.

Conan Drumm said...

Sorry to hear that sad news, Gimme. I hope your Mum and surviving Uncles/Aunts have all got themselves thoroughly checked out and do so regularly. Cancer is a genetic curse.

gimme a minute said...

You don't know the half of it, Conan, genetically speaking.

So, yes, regular check ups are de rigeur. Not for me though, I'm in the Egyptian river.

Conan Drumm said...

Me too I'm afraid, and I'm in the zone.

Meadow said...

Really sorry, Gimme.

problemchildbride said...

I'm sorry, Gimme.

Sweary said...

Sorry for your loss, Gimme.

Christ, it's so hard to accept it when a loved one with a strong personality suddenly leaves your life. I'm truly sorry. Your poor mam.

grimsaburger said...

I'm so sorry for your and your family's loss.

Manuel said...

aye.......I hears ya.......chin up old chap.....

savannah said...

you have my condolences, gimme, and my heart. xox

Sassy Sundry said...

I'm really sorry to hear that, Gimme. I hope you and your family find peace.

gimme a minute said...

I have a feeling it's down the side of the couch.

And thank you all, folks, your thoughts and prayers are appreciated.

Fine, heathen scum, just your thoughts then.

 
◄Design by Pocket