Thursday, April 2, 2009

I have heard rumours all over town

Thursday, April 2, 2009
I get the papers, get the papers just once a week, on my Thursday, post 7am spin, drive home. As a rule I can't take current affairs too early in the morning, but when one or two (am I still doing the we thing, nah, I guess I've let that shit go) have been up since 5.30, Morning Ireland's 8.15 newspaper round-up seems positively afternoony. So here's the only item that managed to take my attention from abusing cunts in tanks through the closed window of my dearest Purple:

Queuing for food

I haven't read the article. Why would I? It'll only get me down. But allow me point out that if it was a lovely, sunny day and I wasn't doing anything else due to, I don't know, unemployment or some shit, and I had my iPhone with me and if I could be reasonably confident that my parcel would contain a Snickers or two, I would be quite happy to spend an afternoon standing in a free stuff queue.

9 Johns and Janes for the comment whore:

Rosie said...

Brother Kevin was in the news last week too, a horrific and sad story in the Irish Times about two of the Bow St. centre's clients.

on Nassau St. they're queueing for U2 tickets.

Conan Drumm said...

No, you wouldn't. You'd be there two minutes and then Paddy O'Gorman would sidle up to you.

Twenty Major said...

Brother Kevin was in the news last week too, a horrific and sad story in the Irish Times about two of the Bow St. centre's clients.

A three week trial. Fucking hell.

gimme a minute said...

Rosie:
on Nassau St. they're queueing for U2 tickets

Fuck. That would have been a much better way to go at it.

Conan:
And I would run screaming. A fair point.

Twenty:
Holding back smart-arsed motivation comments.

V said...

..and to think that IBEC called for welfare cuts today.

Twenty Major said...

..and to think that IBEC called for welfare cuts today.

What do mountain goats know about the social welfare system anyway?

V said...

Ha ha, I see what you did there.

I warrant that a mountain goat knows more than the Irish Business and Employers Cuntfedration

Twenty Major said...

I would concurr with that.

Sniffle said...

The poverty here is magnified in ignorance, ignorance of not knowing how to cook. These food parcels contain convenience foods apparently, because the queuers don’t know how to cook. Which baffles me, but there you have it. I thought food was cheaper now then it ever has been here, what with Lidel and Aldi pushing prices down. And if you took €40 from your €204 back to work allowance, you could feed two. Fucked if I understand.

 
◄Design by Pocket