Friday, April 3, 2009

It's not your business anyway

Friday, April 3, 2009
Riker was off early today for the Easter holidays, and I was running calmly late from my morning's class. My route home takes me past the school and I spotted her from a good way off, walking by herself and struggling mightily under the weight of the school bag that she had forgotten, once again, to empty. I was about to proceed with a little shock and awe demonstration of my new skid stop skill, but something gave me pause.

It's an unoriginal sentiment which gels nicely with my cliché-ridden opening paragraph, but there are few things more heart-wrenching that watching your child merely be, while you yourself remain unobserved. Even from behind there was much to be read, in her loping Gimme gate, the kicking and dragging of her feet, the turgid pace of her walk. Why so slow, Riker? Don't you want to be home with us? You think you're fucking Luka or something? Your back looks sad, my daughter. Why does your back look so sad?

I skidded up. She looked up, seemingly unsurprised, certainly unimpressed.

'What are you doing here?'

'Coming home from work. What are you doing here?'

'Coming home from school.'

'Oh yeah?'

'Yeah.'

'Take your bag?'

'Thanks!'

And then she was off, skipping along with me, doing her babbling brook bit, goading me into more SUV scaring super skids. And so it must have been the weight, not of the world, but of her bag that was bearing down upon my beloved Riker. It surely must have been.

7 Johns and Janes for the comment whore:

V said...

..any movement on the Chemistry Set?

fatmammycat said...

Aw!
Twice Medbh and I were subjected to that awful song while she was here. In the ONE DAY! How terrible is that?
Don't answer, it can't be more terrible than knowing Boston Legal is in it's last series.

stipes said...

Time flies,
innocence dies.
@fmc good luck.
58:58 is better than
58:59

gimme a minute said...

V:
Quite a bit as it happens. All the basic stuff is in the bag, so things are starting to get a little more interesting.

Still no LSD though. Sigh.

Fatmammycat:
Try living with Hannah Monfuckingtana and Ashley Cunting Tisdale.

Stipes:
Time sucks.

And I have a feeling that 55'59 is quaking in its boots.

fatmammycat said...

Cheers Stipes! I'm loading the pod with 'go faster damn you' as I type.

V said...

I'm delighted. Cambridge will be privileged to have her.

Conan Drumm said...

Those bags weigh a fucking ton, and they've a cheek to health check 'em for curvature of the spine as if to assure themselves, "No, not too heavy yet."

 
◄Design by Pocket