Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Russian roulette is not the same without a gun

Tuesday, October 6, 2009
While, for my previous previous post, I was researching how many words are normally in an average novel so that I could work out how many years it would take me, at the established rate of one word a minute, to write such an average novel, if I never ate, shat or slept, while I did all that, I saw this, and thought of me:

"I am currently writing a Sci Fi book as there is very little good books in this section in the market place, I have various contact in the film industry that want to show my script to producers however i believe it would be better published as a book in the first instance. (one its a film i can sell books sure but believe its better for people to say, 'hey that was justlike the book', or 'it was not like the book at all')" If this book is inteneded to end up as a film how many words would i needs in my script (currently have 32,500)"

I'm going to send that guy Data's birthday cash and he can write my novel for me. Who needs literacy or a working knowledge of the current health of the science fiction genre? Not Dave, not with that sparkling wit, and no, not Gimme neither.

12 Johns and Janes for the comment whore:

Pyjamas Cat said...

start with some short stories. I'd read a few. 10,000 words is a short story i think.

Manuel said...

do mine when you get yours done will ya.....ta ta...cheque's in the post....

Twenty Major said...

He's right though. There is very little good sci-fi books in the market place.

Alice said...

If only the gods of SciFi could send that person's keyboard through a wormhole. Innocent web users should not be subjected to such shenanigans.

Reminds me of some of the things my friend's sociology 101 students turn in for term papers.

Kel D said...

Nanowrimo's challenge word count is 50,000. There are novels that are that short, umm... Animal Farm I think?

I think 80,000+ is respectable as a novel.

It may be some time, right?

Fat Sparrow said...

Allie said: "If only the gods of SciFi could send that person's keyboard through a wormhole."

Screw that, I'm for finding Dave and sending his keyboard up his wormhole. I believe that would be the safest bet in making sure he never disgraces himself in public again.

Conan Drumm said...

Yeah, there's definitely a weird conspiracy going on with sci-fi (or speculative fiction, as I think 'they' prefer to call it). Where's this generation's Philip K Dick, or Ursula LeGuin? The military-publishing complex is suppressing them, sucking into them into interminable development hell in the movie business. It's a conspiracy.

Don't go for length, go for breadth.

fatmammycat said...

80 - 90 thousand, assuming a beginning middle and end. I don't know 'bout Dave though, he might just run his ship aground.

Fat Sparrow said...

Oh yeah, breadth is always good. Ladies love the breadth.

Ahem.

gimme a minute said...

Pfft. Too much work.

Anonymous said...

has it occurred to any of you that Dave might be very ESL and in the process of producing a well-written book in some other language not even related to English? or that managing to write 32,500 words would be a sign of some pretty impressive personality traits even if the words were crap? or even that tearing someone apart because his significant efforts happen to result in something below average is pretty sad?

gimme a minute said...

No Dave, none of that had occurred to 'us'.

But now that you bring it up.

You're either 'ESL' or you're not. You can't be very 'ESL'. And I non-English speakers called Dave are pretty thin on the ground.

What kind of personality traits are we talking about here? Mindless persistence in the face of certain defeat? The ability to mash one's fingers on a keyboard over and over again? Idiocy? Colour me unimpressed.

And finally, I am sad. I am very, very sad that the person at whom I randomly jeered happened upon this post through a search for 'russian roulette without a gun.' Might I suggest a nice game of Snap instead?

 
◄Design by Pocket