Tuesday, March 23, 2010

The sound the streetcars make as they pass my window

Tuesday, March 23, 2010
Time was I would roll groggy out of bed at 7.25 and spend five minutes crawling into Data's bedroom so that I might gently coax her from sleep towards her full on, in your face morning whingey whiningness. Then I started smoking again, so I was forced to get up earlier, and stagger downstairs for morning coffee and morning coughing. And then I stopped smoking again and found myself AMly energised and up even earlier, having grown used to that me time where I got to do the things that I really, really wanted to do, like emptying the fucking dishwasher and preparing Common Law's latte. These days, still smoke free, I rise at 6.30 and have time for that emptying, but also eating, and sipping and reading Bike Snob and setting up the morning for the knocking down that the children will do. It's good, I like the time. The time is nice. But here's the thing. As the mornings grow brighter they're chasing me, all three. Common Law first, who also likes the time, coming downstairs, bustling about doing stuff that I feel like I should have done, that stuff being my gig, what with her and her full time job gig. Then Riker, sitting merely awake reading in her bed, which makes me want to hustle her, to grumble if you're awake then get up and eat your breakfast, brush your teeth, fuck it, empty the fucking dishwasher. And now even the not so little Data, up yesterday at 7, demanding to be fed, dressed, brushed.

So I will push back my rising time once more. And soon enough I'll be up at 11 o'clock the night before, knocking back that first espresso and preparing for the day ahead.



8 Johns and Janes for the comment whore:

Sniffle said...

Soon they’ll come at you at the other end of the day, but not doing the stuff you think might be their gig. And girls don’t share , can’t share, they colonize. You are in her nest and they are nestlings.
My drunkenness comes under too close scrutiny these nights and surreptitious cigarettes are no longer. Your famous blog post was exquisite ( as I already told you, you non-returning emailer failed smoker you) Enjoy the evening .

Radge said...

Sleep is for the single.

gimme a minute said...

Sniffle:
You need to check your mail a whole lot harder. Not just today but on the December 1st too.

Radge:
Touché.

fatmammycat said...

Since I've given up sleeping tablets, I awake at 5, lie there for a while, drift back to sleep and then get up around 7. It is most disconcerting. I think I miss the chemical certainty of 8 hours sleep, even as I recognise I can't be popping a sleeping tablet gach oiche. ( but why not!? whine whine)

But the brighter morning do help in fairness.

Sniffle said...

Sorry Gimme, missed it and it’s gone into the ether. Best of luck now with it.

gimme a minute said...

Fatmammycat:
I'd imagine those tablets would give you a bit of a hangover, though?

The not smoking/drinking thing really makes these mornings almost pleasant, despite my taking any opportunity to moan...

Sniffle:
Drop me a line will you? The mail I have for you must be wrong.

fatmammycat said...

Oh sure, they can. I've sort of knocked the hooch on the head a bit too, certainly weekdays. I'm practically alert these mornings. Practically.

Annie said...

and that reminds me, yeah i forgot to close the blind again

 
◄Design by Pocket