Thursday, April 1, 2010

This is not a case of lust you see

Thursday, April 1, 2010
As soon as I came in the door I knew that something was wrong. Although it was only 8.30, I was well into my day, having risen at 5.30 to leave at 6, to teach at 7, to hammer it home at 8. Common Law was recently up, getting the children fed and ready for the second last day at Easter Camp. But I knew immediately that this was not merely early morning grogginess, nor even the crushing fatigue of a week of 14 hour work days. There was something profoundly amiss, a terrible trauma as yet unspoken.

I waited, we waited, until the girls were picked up and shipped off. I kissed, waved, closed the door and then softly, tentatively enquired:

"How's it going?"

"Okay."

"How was the show?"

"Fine."

"Did you go out?"

"Yeah."

"Have fun?"

"Hmm."

"Did something happen?"

"No."

A single tear rolls down her cheek.

"What's wrong? What is it?"

"Nothing."

"Tell me."

And suddenly the tears come in a flood.

"Oh, Gimme."

"What is it?"

She falls into my arms. I hold her tight. She speaks through sobs.

"They lied to me, Gimme."

"Who? Who lied to you?"

"They said March 31st."

The words are a wail.

"Who did? What's March 31st?"

"I believed them. I really believed it was finally going to happen."

"You don't mean..."

"Yes."

"Oh, baby..."

"Lego Harry Potter...it won't be out till May 28..."

Her body shakes, she can no longer speak.

"It's okay darling, it'll be okay..."


It's going to be a long two months.



4 Johns and Janes for the comment whore:

Adie said...

I'm laughing. I know, I know, I'm going straight to Ballyfermot for even chuckling.... but still

seasonticket said...

Be strong. x

Twenty Major said...

hah, excellent.

In the meantime I don't recommend Heavy Rain, God of War III although Bioshock 2 is quite good when you get the power to make whirlwinds.

gimme a minute said...

Adie:
"But still" is not a defence.

Seasonticket:
For a second there I read that as 'livestrong' and got extremely upset.

But thank you.

Hang on, you were talking to me, right?

Twenty Major:
You never got into that baby feeding thing, huh?

 
◄Design by Pocket